Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day 2014

My son Joshua is a boyscout in Troop 114 in Valatie, NY, and they host a 5K run in our village of Valatie, NY every Veteran's Day that is followed by a ceremony in the town park to honour veterans and is hosted by the VFW.
It was my honour to be asked as a veteran to stand with the brave men and women from our village that are veterans going back to WW2. I was humbled and felt inadequate. I was an Army nurse in the reserves and I was mobilized to active duty during the war in Afghanistan for a year and sent to Ft. Sill Oklahoma where I worked in the ICU and cared for soldiers and their families, many of whom were just back from the theatre of war. I had joined the Army with the intention of going to Iraq or Afghanistan to take care of soldiers in theatre, but found myself in Oklahoma instead. I felt like I did not do enough, and not what I signed up for, but in retrospect I feel I did that which I had signed up to do, and I took care of soldiers, it does not matter where I was.

My wife and I recently went on a trip to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary in October 2014 and we had the opportunity to visit Pearl Harbor and go to the Arizona Memorial. As I stood today in the village park with those Veterans I was pondering how I felt standing at the Arizona as I looked down into the water at that rusting wreckage of that great ship. I thought of those who lost their lives in service of our country that were on board. As I stood there I could smell the oil that was bubbling out of the wreckage to the surface of the water. The park ranger there said a quart of oil a day leaks from the ship and is considered by Veterans of the war to represent the tears of those who died.
I took this picture from that spot, you can see the oil slick;
So, This Veterans Day, whether or not you served, or not, and whether or not you went to war, or not ,we can all honour and remember those who have served and made the ultimate sacrifice, and continue to serve ourselves in whatever capacity we are able, and wherever we find ourselves.
Blessings and 73,
Tom K2BEW

No comments:

Post a Comment